Frequently Asked Questions

  • Alberta Queen’s Printer is the official publisher of Alberta’s laws and publications. They are available on Alberta Queen's Printer website (
  • The Canadian Legal Information Institute (CanLII) provides a database of Alberta's Acts (Statutes) and more. CanLII is a non-profit organization managed by the Federation of Law Societies of Canada. CanLII's goal is to make Canadian law accessible for free on the Internet.
While no one ever expects to be a victim of crime, there is help available to you from the Government of Alberta's Solicitor General and Public Security. (
If you are in a family violence situation where the threat of danger is immediate, call your local police or RCMP detachment. The police can obtain an Emergency Protection Order to provide you with immediate protection.
See the Family Law Information Centre for more information.
  • In Alberta FOIP is administrated by Serivce Alberta.
    Public bodies include all provincial government departments, agencies, boards and commissions. It also includes local public bodies such as municipalities, universities, school boards and others. Making a FOIP Rquest
  • In Canada: administrated by the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat. The Access to Information Act gives Canadian citizens the right to access information in federal government records. The Privacy Act provides citizens with the right to access personal information held by the government and protection of that information against unauthorized use and disclosure.
    Forms for various Information Requests.
Information about Pardons & Clemency can be found on the Parole Board of Canada (PBC) website (

The Alberta Ombudsman responds to complains of unfair treatment by provincial government authorities and designated professional organizations.
BBB accepts complaints whether or not the business is a BBB Accredited Business. You can file your complaint with BBB online.
The Alberta Queen's Printer posts a variety of contact information on their website and you can order from the catalogue by phone or online. (

You can find out more from Service Alberta and the Land Title's Office. The Builders' Lien Procedure Manual (PDF) is available on the Service Alberta website. (

At Alberta Justice:

The Alberta Government has some information about Adult Guardianship and Trusteeship Act (AGAT) on their website. The AGTA is for adults over the age of 18 years who are unable to make personal or financial decisions for themselves.

When a serious dispute arises between a landlord and tenant, there are options available to help the parties resolve the dispute.


Alberta Employment and Immigration offers a diverse range of services to Albertans. Their website provides Employment Standards, Occupational Health and Safety, and Labour Relations information to help you manage a safe and fair workplace, and more.


The Alberta Labour Relations Board is an independent and impartial tribunal responsible for the day-to-day application and interpretation of Alberta's labour laws. The role of the ALRB is to interpret and apply the legislation governing collective bargaining.

The Ignition Interlock Program (administered by the Alberta Transportation Safety Board) allows individuals who have lost their operator's licence through an impaired driving conviction an opportunity to gain conditional driving privileges before the end of their licence suspension.
The Alternative Measures Program is utilized as an alternative to judicial proceedings with persons alleged to have committed minor offences. More information can be found on the Solicitor General's website.
The forms for passports are availble on Passport Canada's website (
If you have a Canadian criminal record you will be prevented, by law, from entering the United States of America (US). Visit the Passport Canada website for more information.
The Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program protects the victims of uninsured or hit and run accidents by ensuring they have a way to make a claim against the uninsured motorist and receive payment for their personal bodily injuries.
In Alberta, the demerit point system is used to maintain an accurate account of a driver's demeritable convictions on their driving record. Demerit points are assigned to a client's driving record in accordance with the Regulations under the Traffic Safety Act.
The Ignition Interlock Program (administered by the Alberta Transportation Safety Board) allows individuals who have lost their operator's licence through an impaired driving conviction an opportunity to gain conditional driving privileges before the end of their licence suspension.

All the Courthouse locations are listed on the Contact Us page on this website.
Student Legal Services of Edmonton (SLS) provides good information on the "How To Run Your Own Criminal Trial" page on their website (
  • This website offers information on the Civil Claim Process to consider before you sue, if you are being sued, and the process that is involved.
  • The forms required for a Civil Claim are also posted on this website.
  • In Provincial Court-Civil, you can sue for an amount up to $50,000. If your claim is for more than the Civil Division limit $50,000 you can drop the extra amount (this is called abandonment) or you can go to the Court of Queen's Bench to sue for the total amount. 
The website Bully Free Alberta contains resources parents, teens and community members can use to help build a bully-free province.
Child and Family Benefit forms are available online, on Canada Revenue Agency's website (

The Supreme Court BC offers videos as tips for appearing in court:
The Youth Criminal Justice Act provides for the use of extrajudicial sanctions in place of judicial proceedings. This program is intended to reduce the number of young people appearing before the court when their first conflict with the law involves a low risk offence and when such measures would be appropriate, having regard to the needs of the young person and the interests of society. The emphasis may be placed on such alternatives as community service work, restitution and/or victim/offender reconciliation.

Personal directives are legal documents which allow you to name a decision maker and/or provide written instructions to be followed when, due to illness or injury, you no longer have the capacity to make decisions such as where you will live or the medical treatment you will receive.

More information is available on Government of Alberta's Seniors and Community Supports website.